Senior Managing Associate
Consumer regulations, M&A, intellectual property, privacy & data protection
Carolyne Vande Vorst
Carolyne is a Senior managing associate at Law Square and is specialised in Data protection & Privacy, IT & IP, Business Contracts and Consumer regulations. She leads the Data Protection & Privacy team at Law Square.
Carolyne is not your typical lawyer. She breathes technology and innovation and helps her clients find solutions for legal questions in the fields of data protection, privacy, IP, ICT as well as e-business.
Her latest data protection projects include the performance of gap-assessments or readiness assessments in view of the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), advising on cross-border data transfers, data governance structures and the implementation of data protection & privacy programmes as well as advising clients in negotiations / investigations by the Belgian Privacy Commission or other authorities in the field of privacy and data protection.
Carolyne is a regular speaker at (inter)national events and provides advice to both Belgian and EU policy makers; amongst others, she was an external advisor for Privacy to Bart Tommelein, the previous Belgian State Secretary for the Contravention of social fraud, Privacy and the North Sea.
She also regularly advises clients in terms of IP ownership on software developments, cloud migration projects, as well as looking into the feasibility/possibility of emerging technologies and new business models such as 3D printing, connected or driverless vehicles and the sharing economy.
With a background in corporate and commercial law, she can leverage on a wide experience in structuring and reorganisation projects, including large scope due diligence analyses, reporting and contract drafting.
Her work is not about identifying hurdles but co-creating solutions that work for her clients. She differentiates herself through her project management expertise and certification and her ability to work in multi-disciplinary and international teams.
Carolyne is fluent in Dutch, French and English and has working language experience in Spanish.
|2013 - present||Senior managing associate, Law Square - Member of the Brussels Bar|
|2007 - 2013||Legal Counsel, Corporate & Commercial Department, PwC Belgium|
- "Algemene verordening gegevensbescherming : vijf nieuwigheden van dichterbij bekeken", Cahier du Juriste, 2017/4
- "Gegevensbescherming en AVG in praktijk : impact en aansprakelijkheid bij een M&A transactie", Data Protection & Privacy - Le GDPR dans la pratique, Anthemis, p. 131-145
- Regular publications in the Law Square newsletter (www.lawsquare.be/news)
- "Cloud computing in de juridische praktijk : een aantal mythes en misvattingen ontmaskerd", IBJ (Belgian Institute of Company Lawyers) annual edition "Let's go digital : de digitale uitdaging van de jurist"
- Contribution in "Betrieb von Videokameras in PKW Datenschutzrechtliche (Un-) Zulässigkeit des Betriebs von On-Board-Kameras in PKW", Lachenmann/Schwiering, NZV 2014, 291
- "Web 2.0 data: een verdoken schat of valkuil?", Dynamiek / Entreprendre, BECI, October 2013
Academic Experience or roles in professional organisation
- Certifications: Prince2 Foundation, Certified Information privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E), Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM)