The Brexit clock is ticking : 340 days left
Michel Barnier’s Hannover Speech of 23 April 2018 emphasizes fundamental EU demands, stressing veto risk:
- No transition until an agreement on the Withdrawal Agreement, in its entirety, has been reached & companies must prepare for all scenarios now;
- The UK’s red lines (no permanent role for the ECJ, independent trade policy and exit of EU customs union) are closing doors;
- No ambitious future partnership without common ground on competition, state aid, social & environmental standards and guarantees against tax dumping;
- Any future deal will need to be ratified by the EU Parliament and by all national (and even regional) parliaments of EU27;
- Only frictionless relation with the UK would be a Norway-Plus model.
For more information, please contact Ine Lejeune or Karolien Vandenberghe.